Thursday, June 16, 2011

Awesome Awktopus Summer of YA Lit Challenge

Since I haven’t gotten enough reading done these few weeks, I decided to set a challenge for myself now that… wait for it.. SCHOOL IS (ALMOST) OVER! I got overeager and pressed published. School is actually over tomorrow :p

So I’m introducing the Summer Reading Challenge... The Awesome Awktopus (this word doesn’t even mean anything, I just like it) Summer of YA Lit Challenge. Yes, comment on this awesome title.

So basically, these are my personal goals. Totally based on things I’ve thought about but never really had time, book reading wise. But now it's summer so yay for reading time! I've created them into mini-challenges, so if you are feeling particularly a wave of internal competitiveness...




RULES:

-Pick however many mini-challenges you want to do, then ready, set, READ!
No need to post about it or sign up, though go ahead if you’d like to spread the word— go right ahead :) This is more like a personal challenge for me that I'm sharing and encouraging you guys to participate in, so it's very informal.

-A book can be used towards a maximum of 2 mini-challenges. Example: You can used Pride and Prejudce for challenges 3 & 4, but NOT 3, 4 and 7.

-You don't need a blog or anything to enter. If you are participating and do have a blog, feel free to drop a link in the comments and I'll stop by.

-runs from June 16 to August 31

-winners get a congratulatory virtual handshake, hug, pat on the back, and a prize of internet-ual value equating to the monetary sum of zero.






The Mini Challenges

My suggestions for you are in blue, and my choices for me are in red. This list will be updated through the summer. Strikethrough means "read/completed"
1. Read 4 Books you have never heard of before. You should probably just go to the library (Yes! The library!) for this one, I know I am. Books I’ve never known about before, inspired by my post, “do you miss it?”.


2. Start and finish a series or trilogy. Any genre. Maybe it’s one that you’ve always wanted to try but never have, maybe it’s one you just didn’t have time to tackle, and the 'finish' part is important.

My suggestions: Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan


3. Read that book. Yes, you know, that book. The one that you’ve been meaning to get around for forever and that is just staring at you forlornly on your shelf. The one you’ve been setting aside for ages because something just a tad sparklier has come your way and you’re like “yes, I’ll read that next” but never do.

My choices: Rotters by Daniel Krauss. The Candidates by Inara Scott.


4. Read ONE classic. Yeah. Just one! ONLY one! *fist bump* for low standards. I am terrible at getting around to this, I started Jane Eyre ages ago but never got past page 30. I’ll try to finish it this summer.

My choice: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


5. Read 2 books for one of those other challenges that you signed up for and realized you actually haven’t gotten very far into completing it.

My choice: A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley, and Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley (Aussie Reading Challenge)

6. Read the book you’ve been avoiding because of hype. Anna and the French Kiss—I know you’ve been putting it off… but trust ME, it’s as good as they say it is.

My suggestions: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My choice: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton*


7. Read a book published before year 2000. Yes. YA is not just a thing invented after the explosion of Twilight.

My choice: The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley


8. Read 3 stand-alone books by the same author. These books can NOT be part of a series!

My suggestions: John Green, Sarah Dessen, Melina Marchetta, Courtney Summers. Oh look! My holy trinity-plus-one of YA authors! Wow, what a coinkydink!

My choice: D-d-d-david Levithan, BOOYA.


9. Read a summer-related book. Self-explantory. You can be the judge of this, but try to make sure the book takes place during the summer.

My suggestions: Along for the Ride, That Summer, This Lullaby, The Truth About Forever (haha bsically all of them) by Sarah Dessen xD

My choice: Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz


10. Buy a book for yourself as a prize for something (for surviving Monday? Yep, that counts!) and read it!
My choice: The Demon's Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan





**

And that's it! I think we can all do challenge #10, right?. I personally will be going for all 10, so maybe you should too ;)

*cheers* for a kick-off to an Awesome Awktopus Summer of YA Lit!!








*just wanted to point out how unlucky I am with receiving contest winnings... again :p I'll probably end up buying this one.

18 comments:

  1. Cool challenge is cool. Definitely doing this!

    Plus, I came here just after John Green's video where he announced Gatsby as the blurbing book club book of the month, so I've got my classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh and feel so happy because of your enthusiasm especially as I'm reading this at 11am in the morning English time with it raining outside HEAVILY.

    I might give this a go. Such a great idea and nice for a long summer. I have many 'I am going to put that book off because I like the sound of it but I'm not sure' books.

    And another suggestion for the series: The Declaration series by Gemma Malley. Really good. Oh and The Luxe series. I'm a series gal secretly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely thinking about joining you even though it is winter over here. I want that virtual handshake LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am horrible at challenges but I am very tempted by this one.

    I love the line My holy trinity-plus-one of YA authors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol omgosh when I read “start and finish” a series my first thought was percy jackson and the Olympians and whala it's there
    and thanks you remined me that I promised someone to check out jhon greens book about the kathrins or w/e hmmm

    I'm horrible at challenges myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update ok so I decided to do this I'll be doing numbers 8, 9 and 10 though Idk if I'll be able to get past 50 pages with some of these just thought I'd let you know

    except for 10 becuse I know I'll be able to finish becuse I already planed on buying 2 books anyway

    ReplyDelete
  7. YIKES! Another challenge. I'm already doing about 50, what's one more?

    Thanks for all the suggestions. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some fabulous mini-challenge ideas, Audrey! I *so* need to read the Percy Jackson series (everyone keeps saying it's awesome) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I definitely recommend giving Jane Eyre another try! Then watch the version with Timothy Dalton if you haven't seen it :D

    Read a book published before year 2000. >> I second this. There are so many amazing YA novels out there that were published before Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up :) 6 out of 10, wonder if I'll manage one :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw this looks like fun! I really have to tackle my TBR pile though and I doubt that I will be able to do this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh love this! I'm also trying to read a few classics. And by "a few" I mean hardly any. Namely like one. Haha. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds amazing, I can't wait to post my list and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i kind of want to join

    it looks like such great fun

    and i am in such a reading funk lately :/

    i love the reading three random books thingy.

    and the series one. i have not read harry potter yet and sometimes ponder reading it especially wheni see them sitting at the lib all the time ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great challenge! I think I'm going to participate! I love the prize xD hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in! I wrote a sign up post. i'm not sure about whether I am meant to link it...?

    I'm going for 8 of your mini challenges and I added to of my own because I think they so need to be done.

    Fabulous idea! I love a challenge for the summer. Very Swim the Fly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skye- I think I'll read that one too! Haha, because it's not as daunting as Jane Eyere... gosh, I can *never* finish classics :P

    Rebecca- Hehe, I'm glad :) and I'm so happy you're participating! :)

    Kate- YAY! I think you might like PJ, and thanks for participating!! =D

    Missie- hehehe, I know what you mean, I originally wasn't planning on doing too many challenges, but now I'm doing 4 (which isn't much, but really, I doubt I'll complete them)

    Danya- Yes, PJ! Plus, it gives you an excuse to watch the crappy movie with LOGAN LERMAN in it xD Yay for older books! like seriously!

    Alexa- hehe HURRAY! You will be great :)

    Cialina- yeahh, I know what you mean!

    Julia- LOL classics were never my strong suit xD

    Laura- AWESOME! i'll stop by your blog when the post is up, YAY! ;)

    Nomes- I'm trying to get into one of the 'random books' i chose... it's.... weird. :p OMG NOMES READ HP HP HP HP HP!!!!!!!!!

    Gaby- LOLOL isn't it just TO DIE FOR??? xD

    Becky- I'll stop by your blog! I didn't really create a formal link-up thing, but if you signed up, I'll just use these comments to pop by every once in a while :) hehe thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so making my post about it now! :)

    can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG dude this is so cool. Only I'm stealing your David Levithan choice. (You made me laugh so hard with your "d-d-d-David Levithan BOOYA" :D <3) It's waaaayyy to hard to find a good author with standalones D:

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*