Friday, June 24, 2011

faves of 2011... so Far - the Books

This really cool feature is hosted by the very awesome Nomes from Inkcrush! If you couldn't tell yet, I love her blog so you guys should go check it out. Also, I apologize for lack of more covers, I'm too lazy to figure out how to make them line up without wanting to incessantly *headdesk* because I'm pretty much blogger-dumb to figure stuff like that out. I only do left/right/center aligning for pictures... :P

This feature is a mini awards ceremony for our favourite books we've READ so far in 2011! Here it goes!

THE BOOKS


1. favourite book read so far in 2011

-nuhuh, not gonna answer that! It will give away my year-end list, I think (and yes, this will be the only question I won’t answer… probably) Don’t hate me! *cackles*

2. most powerful book

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
-man, this book gave me chills. So good!!!


3. brilliantly funny

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray!
-No way I could give this award to any other book... serious lulz. My gosh, I wish I could read this 5 times, then quote from it endlessly the way I do with Friends. You guys know exactly what I mean.
-close runner-up is Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty-- brilliant and funny as well :)


4. best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
I won’t even do the manly “nah, that’s water from the ceiling” crap, I totally cried. It's not outrageous-- it's subtle, beautiful, and quietly gorgeous.
So many runner-ups! There's Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King, spunky but definitly ache-y.
I so wish I could mention Where She Went by Gayle Forman, but I read it last year :(


5. most beautiful story

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Eeeep, I love this book SO HARD. It's full of all the angst and grief I love, lots of historical fiction woven in and the story is just so beautiful.
Super close runner-ups: Split by Swati Avasthi... an amazing story of brothers, redemption and family.
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - because it's original, funny, and so awesome! I think I can find beauty in that :)


6. delicious rainy day comfort read

I bought and reread Graceling by Kristin Cashore, I think it’s a book that I will never get sick of... definitely for those rainy days.
Runner up (another buy + reread) is Heist Society by Ally Carter (MORE HALE PLZ) and another buy + reread is North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley (MORE JACOB PLZ). And Anna and the French Kiss (MORE ETIENNE PLZ)
.. I have a thing for fictional boys. Hi. Nice to meet you.


7. adrenalin-fuelled, unputdownable award

Divergent by Veronica Roth. I just want to do some mad fistpumping like one of those steroid monkeys because I just get excited when we talk about this book!


8. the beautiful prose award

Blood Red Road by Moira Young. Any time I compare anything to Patrick Ness… shoo-in.
Just missed out: The Lover’s Dictionary by David Levithan, Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly and Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard.


9. most atmospheric and vivid setting

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
-ohh the Washokey wildwinds :) Gorgeous setting.


10. i-so-want-to-go-there award

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
—PARIS! Also: Revolution which also takes place in Paris, but lets face it: Anna knows Etienne, so if I go to her boarding school I could know him too. *swoon*
*starts packing*


11. most original and imaginative

The Lover’s Dictionary by David Levithan. This man is a freaking… I dunno… spider? As in the spiders that have those icky but pretty webs… okay I’ll stop now because I kind of hate spiders and I don’t hate Levithan… OKAY. Here’s the deal. His words are like spider webs because they are pretty and not gross at all. Why do I even try.


12. best under-appreciated, hidden gem book

Nothing by Janne Teller—the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's a freaking Printz book too!
Also, Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian- my friends, this YA contemporary is AWESOME. You are seriously missing out if you've skipped this.


13. i-had-no-idea-i-would-love this-so award

Blood Red Road by Moira Young- totally blew my mind. The writing, the setting, the characters… l-l-l-luuuuurved it.


14. most haunting story

A Monster Calls by Patrick ness. Oh the TEABS (thanks FYA ladies)
Oh so close: Ordinary Beauty by Laura Wiess... haunting is the perfect word for it.


15. outside my comfort zone but gosh how i loved it

Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty- it’s hilarious, funny, heartwarming, honest… written in LETTER FORM (which is what I'm counting as out-of-comfort-zone)!
The more I think about it, the worse this choice is. I mean, it's contemporary YA which basically is my comfort zone! :P OHKAY I'll admit it, this isn't that much "out-there"... I should probably just pick a paranormal book since I really tend to stay away from them....
Oh, what about a Middle Grade? Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow by Nathan Bransford.. didn't love it but it fits the category 70%ish ;)


16. series that i’m loving

Blood Red Road (Dustlands trilogy) by Moira Young! Close runner up is Divergent :)


17. most memorable voice award

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. What made this book stand out is Anna's relatable-ness, and her endearing, endless charm (and St. Clair). All comes down to Perkin's genius writing!


18. completely awesome premise award

Wither Lauren DeStefano :) Sister wives are fascinating... admit it :p


19. would make the best movie

Beauty Queens
by Libba Bray *fistpumps* someone cast Sarah Palin stat!


20. want to re-read already

Blood Red Road by Moira Young. It's been a couple weeks, but I still can't get this book out of my head!

Ohkay, obviously I have a LOT of repeats here (Blood Red Road = 4)… I wish I read more books! I have so many awesome ones waiting on my nightstand, I think I’ll even do an IMM vlog this Sunday because I’m so excited! I love my library!

Also, I'M DONE SCHOOL. Like I've been saying that for weeks now, but seriously, all the exams are done (though the Chemistry one I did went tragically... *sigh* I have moped for around 5 hours, and I'm hopefully recovering by reading. I want some happy books-- any suggestions???)

And thanks Nomes for hosting this wonderful feature-list-thing! :) So much fun!!

26 comments:

  1. LOL! I was gonna say, how is Feeling Sorry for Celia out of your comfort zone?

    Yay, we match on a few.

    And how is it that I've never heard of A Monster Call until today? This is so wrong I feel so freaking out of the loop. No bueno, Missie.

    I still remember your praise for Revolution. I can't believe I've been such a cad and haven't picked it up yet.

    If anyone has a thing for fictional boys it's me. I triple <3 W.W. HALE!


    Fun, fun list. As usual, love your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missie- I know, it's bad! I was looking through my list of 2011 books read and seriously... I'm a comfort zone reader! xD I swear we could go forever talking about fictional boys. I'm reading Uncommon Criminals right now QUADRUPLE <3 W.W.Hale!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, so many people have had Blood Red Road on their lists. I must get it!

    I'm so glad you loved Feeling Sorry For Celia! It's one of my all-time faves :)

    I totally love what you wrote about David Levithan :D I'm such a big fan of his.

    Anna and the French Kiss is also on my list, so is Divergent..

    ...ooo you just commented on mine about Divergent sweeping the category... totally agree! I've only seen one list where it hasn't been the pick.

    Great list! Can't wait for day 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Book: Stealing Heaven - Elizabeth Scott
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Anna and the French Kiss and Revolution! Everyone's been saying great things about Beauty Queens - I never expected it to be so good! Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much Jaclyn Moriarity love, I love it!

    And Patrick Ness!!

    And Anna and the French Kiss!!!!

    Oh, I am deeply in love with your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to read all of theese! Especially Divergent and Lover's Dictionary. Oh and I loved Where She Went -- totally a tearjerker worthy book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list! I have read six of the books. I really need to hurry up and read Blood Red Road. I think I am going to love that one.

    And YAY for Raw Blue being on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! yay Divergent and Anna and Celia _ I love all those books.

    I must read Revolution, it looks so fabulous. I'm undecided about Blood Red Road and Beauty Queens I'm seeing very mixed reviews for them ~ it seems to be a case of love or hate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your list! Also, I just bought a copy of A Monster Calls from Book Depository and absolutely CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh LOL ~ i don't know why but i grinned my way through this list :)

    and I GOT REVOLUTION in the mail today (from a book swap) i might read it next. i am not sure if it is my usual read but i am hoping i will like it.

    high five for feeling sorry for celia :)

    and i so agree about raw blue being powerful. it's pretty much the perfect word for it

    i am so bumping NOTHING from the want to read list to my must read list <3

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  12. I put A Monster Calls as the one I was surprised about! Seriously, the lesson of the story as a whole...wow!

    I'm so happy Divergent made is somewhere on your list! It is going to be my fav of the year I think!

    My book for place I want to go is also set in Paris!

    Wither got my premise award as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing BLOOD RED ROAD and BEAUTY QUEENS on these lists. i feel like the only girl at the pool party without a swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I started reading Uncommon Criminals last night and I was so happy that Hale showed up right away. GAWD! The tension between those too! They hardly say a word to each other but you can feel how palpable things are between them!

    *le swoon*

    P.S. Don't try to out heart me when it comes to W.W. Hale the fifth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished Anna and the French Kiss and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a swooner. I'd pack my bags and go to Paris any day if St. Clair is there. *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...clearly I have to read Blood Red Road! Yay for the shout-out to Nothing - I read that one last year and was really impressed, but it seems like no one ever mentions it :(

    Also, Feeling Sorry for Celia ftw! I love that book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES ILL BE SURE TO READ ALL OF THIS! For sure. This summer. Maybe. :D Thanks for the list! I'm very happy about most of you pick...some I don't know though. Haha. I could see that Blood Red Road appears a lot!!! Must be good, then ;)

    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAY WERE DONE, AUDREY OMGGG. Which means we're free. almost. Too bad Chemistry didn't go well for you D: I hope you don't take it again next year :$ Though thats prbly the reason why you took it lmao.

    Anyway. YES. SUMMER. POSITIVE THINGS. TIME FOR READING. OMG SPEAKING OF WHICH I GOTTA GET STARTED ON READING ROFLROFL

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are definitely still some books on your list that i MUST read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh so many here that l SO want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just stumbled across your blog today. I LOVE the name :)

    There are so many books here that are on my to get list *sniff* but I'll be waiting for a while I think lol. I am really interested in Blood Red Road though...The reviews I have red for it have been really good and it sounds interesting.

    New follower
    Blethering About Books

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoo! I LOVE this list! It gave me a bunch of great book recommendations (I have to read Blood Red Road, obviously!) and it was supremely hilarious! I adored the spider-web metaphor:)

    You should do this again:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like someone loved Saba! I tried, well, I did this post in a notebook and Where She Went was in like, five categories and I decided not to post it. I'm going to have to check out Beauty Queens, I'm just afraid it's going to be this "ditzy" blonde girls-hair flippin' book. Please, tell me it isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is kinda making me think that I maybe need to read Blood Red Road... :)

    I need to read anna, too! It's definitely on the top of my list of books I want to read soon.

    Raw Blue is on my list of books to read, too. You've read lots of books that I want to read, but haven't yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome choices! I picked Anna too - paris here we come! :)

    I have Revolution sitting on my nightstand for the past 2 months. Don't know why I haven't started it yet.

    I have a lot of books to look up now, and yay for school being done! Have a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha great choices! I definitely should add most of those to my wishlist, I trust your taste! :P
    And I'm kind of mad at myself of passing on Blood Red Road..

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*