Saturday, June 11, 2011

Guest Post: Melissa Lemon on Carreer Planning

My lovelies! I have a wonderful guest post for you today from Melissa Lemon, author of Cinder and Ella. She's stopping by today on her Cinder and Ella Virtual Blog Tour.. and she's talking about a very relevant topic (well, for me). Welcome, Melissa!



***

I have holes in my brain, too. They’re just different from Audrey’s wisdom-leaking kind. The holes in my brain act more like a sponge. It all just kind of gets stuck in there until somebody squeezes, or in other words, until somebody asks me to write a blog post.

Since Audrey is having a hard time deciding what she wants to be when she grows up, I thought I’d give some career planning advice in my guest post today.

First: Do not pay any attention to the career aptitude tests they give you in school. Do you want to know what mine said I should be? Well, have you seen the movie Elf? Remember when Buddy comes to meet his dad for the first time and they think he’s delivering a “Christmas Gram?” I think the scientific term used on my test was “Singing Messenger.” True story. Let’s just say you won’t ever catch me in that elf suit. And I’m not much of a singer.

Second: Do what you love. I love writing enough that even though I don’t make any money at it (at least not yet), it is still worth it. I also love music (that must be where that “Singing Messenger” idea came from). And since I do need to buy things like bread and gas on occasion, I teach music for a living. Doing what you love helps you get through the times where you are tempted to say, “Why am I doing this?” Life is hard enough without having to do something you hate.

Third: Do what you love for the right reasons. What are the right reasons? Well, let’s use an example. Becoming a doctor because you want a Porsche and a huge house with a courtyard and both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool would be for the wrong reasons. But, becoming a doctor because you want to help people and you don’t have any issues with blood would be for the right reasons. Find what you can do to make the world a better place and do it.

There you have it. Pretty simple, right?

Oh, and Audrey, you would be a fabulous author. Good luck in your career planning endeavors.

***

Thank you :) I love this post! Plus she mentioned my blog title which is just double awesome.

For more information and some very awesome links, you can visit Melissa's

Cinder and Ella

Summary: After their father’s disappearance, Cinder leaves home for a servant job at the castle. But it isn’t long before her sister Ella is brought to the castle herself—the most dangerous place in all the kingdom for both her and Cinder. Cinder and Ella is a Cinderella story like no other and one you'll never forget.
Released November 8, 2011

5 comments:

  1. LOL, a Singing Messenger? Wow, I didn't even know that was a possible result on career aptitude tests! I totally agree with her advice here, especially the "do what you love" bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super-sweet blog post! Ahahaha, I always love taking those career aptitude tests, mainly because I get such different results every time. And do what you love -- this. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Career aptitude tests are freaking awesome. They always give you a wide range of careers to consider, everything from rocket scientist to stripper.

    Great advice! I agree, do what you love for the right reasons and you can't go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! I agree do what you love and for the right reason and you will definitely be happy in whatever you choose :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*