Sunday, June 19, 2011

Taglines!

I’ve had some free time recently so I went through my books... Also, side note, I think I'm suffering from an educational hangover. labs ftw?

OBJECTIVES (in question format)

1) Do most books have them?
2) Would these taglines entice me to read the book?


OBSERVATIONS
  • The majority of my books do not have taglines.
  • I would hazard to say 20% of my books do have them.
  • Most of them are paperbacks (but granted, I own more PBs than HBs)

I actually looked through them and tallied how many taglines I liked vs. didn’t like (I need a life) (and reminder, these are just books on my bookshelf):

Total with taglines: 19
Good taglines: 11
Bad taglines: 8

So.. I guess it's 50/50ish, eh?


DATA

Examples of taglines I don't like (and of course, this isn’t a knock on the book. I am so NOT the be all end all of tagline approval)

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller
What if love refused to die?
-WHY. (my reaction..)


Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti
How long can you wait for true love?
-*sigh*.


Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
When love crosses the line… where do you stop?
-ohkay...


Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
She can control her pack, but not her heart
-someone shoot me. And I liked this book, it’s just the tagline… come on!


Taglines I'm ambivalent about (in the middle)

Take Me There by Carolee Dean
With this much to lose, there’s no turning back
-eh, cliche


Divergent by Veronica Roth
One choice can transform you
-eh, it's alright... I guess


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
One boy helps her remember. The other lets her forget.
-Boys have cooties.


Taglines I LOVE!

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
What does it take to survive aboard a spaceship fueled by lies?
-ZOMG TELL ME MORE!!!


The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
Hush little students, don’t say a word…
-daddy’s gonna buy you a... oh I see what you did there.


After by Amy Efaw
You’ve done the unthinkable. What happens… (after)
-dun dun dunnn


Wake by Lisa McMann
Your dreams are not your own
-cue ominous music


Hold Still by Nina LaCour
How does your life move forward when all you want to do is… (hold still)
-aw!! *feeds on grief*


Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher
Bad boys and secrets are both hard to keep…
-SEE? I want to read this! I take my comment about boys + cooties back.



Of course, I have to comment on one of my absolute FAVORITE taglines ever…. In a book I am now dying to read because of this very reason:

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story.
I have no words to comment on this awesome. Actually, I'm not sure if this is actually on the cover of the book, but it seriously needs to be!

***

CONCLUSION

Through detailed observations, I have some solidly conclusive, yet very obvious findings. The job of the tagline should make a reader raise an eyebrow, take a closer look, and exclaim “I want to know what happens!” durrrr :p

I think the business of taglines is very subjective because as a reader, I'm not a fan of super-romance-y twu-luv type books, so that's why those 'love is the shizz' taglines are a turn-off for me. Others, I'm sure, would adore them.

Taglines should not be clichéd. Well, personally, something clichéd just makes me upset because we are writers. Our weapons of choice are words, why the heck would we recycle old ones to paste onto our heart-and-soul-novel??

So lastly, my questions to you are:

Do you like taglines? and if so, What are some of your favourite taglines from books? (And don’t limit yourself to my examples! There should be a memorable tagline floating somewhere in your brain)

20 comments:

  1. OH GOD NIGHTSHADE PUT IT AWAY. I had that one repressed *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too lazy to rummage through my shelf and look now, but if done very well taglines can make a pretty great impact I think. But if they became cliche and cheesy like some of your examples then it's best to not even go there. Personally if done very well they can make an impact but I don't think they are all that important. Not sure if I'm making sense there. LOL. Great post Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you about the good ones vs. the bad ones. The cliched ones just make me groan and the awesome ones make me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. First I have to ask boys have cooties? Even Jonah Griggs?

    Now on to your actually post. I am not a huge fan of taglines. I really don't like the Eternal Ones and Nightshade. I agree they need to be unique and make you want to look inside the pages. The one for Anna Dressed in Black does sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't tend to notice taglines, to be honest, unless they're terrible. Adult thrillers are notorious for stupid taglines, things like: "Sometimes the nastiest crimes are those close to home." "There's no time to lose when your family's in danger." No! You think?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new here. Can I start by saying this is one of the most interesting and original posts, I've read. I am in awe.

    Boys have cooties... Made me laugh so hard.

    Seriously, some really interesting thoughts. I hadn't read the mockingbird tagline, but you're right, very very clever.

    I am now going to have to investigate my own books and explore my taste in taglines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went through some of my books and was surprised to find very few with taglines! I do like taglines generally, although you're right, some of the ones you mention are really cheesy and cliched (that Susane Colasanti one just makes me wince.) A couple on my shelves I did find that I like are the one for Uglies ("In a world of extreme beauty, anyone normal is ugly.") and the one for The Liar Society ("You're only as good as your last lie.")

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post! Some of those tag lines are GOD AWFUL! They're so terribly written, they'd never be published in the contents of the actual book. Ick. I'd prefer if tag lines just didn't exist at all but, you're right, some of the good ones do make you want to buy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool post! I never really thought about the taglines for books, much in the same way I don't think about the taglines for movies. I'm definitely a read the summary/watch the trailer type of person.

    But it was cool to see some of the taglines you liked, didn't like, and were meh about.

    I think my favorite was for The Mockingbirds (except I get a creepy vibe from that, and I don't know if that book is suppose to be creepy?)

    Thanks for the thinky thoughts in my head!

    Elisquared

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skye- tell me about it! not very awesome at ALL

    Aly- I totally agree, they do make some impact but it's not monumental (well, I think this if you are previously aware of the book. If I'm browsing through the bookstore and seeing random books, I think taglines would make a big difference)

    Beth- exactly! =)

    Nic- AHAHA NEVER JONAH GRIGGS. He is so PERFECT ;) Yes, unique is a must, I think :)

    Katie Edwards- Aaaaaaaaahhh *runs away* seriuosly though.. just NO. Ahahaha thanks for the examples xD

    Becky- Welome! :) and thank you!! Ooh, i'd love to know what you found.

    NeuroHormone- thanks!

    danya- I know, I was surprised more! The cheesy + cliche is a no no... oh my gosh, i LOVE the examples you have. Both of them are pretty awesome!

    Stephanie- I konw! I just wonder who chose them... yup, there actually aren't that many books with taglines, which is :o

    Elisquared- thanks! I want to do one on movie taglines, but they're all so different, and haha me too! oh, and judge by cover/actors :p

    Thanks to all of you for the interesting replies and comments! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great post! You made me laugh so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! :) That is an awesome tagline for Anna Dressed in Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boys have cooties LOLOLOL! Thanks for making me smile, Audrey <3 I especially love Across the Universe's, too.

    Also, I think PBs have them to get new people to pick them up, while hardcovers are usually bought by people who've read all the hype before publication. Yeah?

    Oh yeah, and I LOVE this 2-column layout. 3-columns just make the page slow to load and too graphic-heavy. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zoe- ehehe I'm glad :D

    Cialina- I know, isn't it?!

    Yahong- xD and yes, AtU was like *step back from awesome*, so original and mysterious :p ooh, I know what you mean about the PB vs HB, that's a really great point! and yay! I think it looks cleaner, like you said. I'm thinking of another blog revamp soon.. I think I mess around with the blog too much :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG the tagline for Kendare Blake's book made me madly jump over to Goodreads to look it up!!

    But the title is Anna Dressed in Blood, not Anna Dressed in Black :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becca- EEEK *headdesk* my bad! and I knew that too! thanks for pointing it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really? Only 19 of your books has taglines? I thought they were kind of standard on all books. *scratches head*

    Anyhoo, Audrey, this post totally cracked me up! You are so funny with your observations. I'm glad you are suffering from educational hangover!

    Those taglines you didn't like do sound pretty lame.

    The tag on the paperback of IIS is pretty lame too. "What would you do if you had to choose?"

    Wow, tough choice, Adam or death? Yeah, me too! ADAM. EVERY. TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant post idea. I LOVE TAGLINES! They make everything fun! Haha. I never notice them that much though...I do sometimes. I remember that one for Hold Still. I thought it was real good. and woowww, The Mockingbirds' tagline is brilliant too. HOLY CRAP ACROSS THE UNIVERSE IVE YET TO READ!!! Anna Dressed In Blood sounds really intriguing :O

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*