Saturday, May 12, 2012

BR: Beautiful

by Amy Reed

I really only read it because Courtney Summers raved about it and I love Courtney Summers and think she’s insanely awesome.

***Also, I turned into a bit of a potty mouth in this review, so if you're easily offended, might as well skip it :p

Summary (goodreads)


When Cassie moves from the tiny town where she has always lived to a suburb of Seattle, she is determined to leave her boring, good-girl existence behind. This is Cassie’s chance to stop being invisible and become the kind of girl who’s worth noticing.

Stepping into her new identity turns out to be easier than Cassie could have ever imagined…one moment, one choice, changes everything.

Cassie’s new existence both thrills and terrifies her. Swept into a world of illicit parties and social landmines, she sheds her virginity, embraces the numbness she feels from the drugs, and floats through it all, knowing that she is now called beautiful. She ignores the dangers of her fast-paced life…but she can’t sidestep the secrets and the cruelty.

Cassie is trapped in a swift downward spiral tinged with violence and abuse, and no one—not even the one person she thought she could trust—can help her now.

**
My Expectations: pretty high, I was expecting Courtney Summers-esque brilliance
Delivery: big disappointment
Put-down-ability: 8/10
**

My Thoughts

My huge, glaring issue with this book is that I found it incredibly unrealistic. Sure, I must be the most sheltered girl out there but I think at age 13-- seventh grade, (SEVENTH!!) there aren’t girls smoking pot, having sex, taking pills… it just.. no. It’s my own personal opinion and it hurt my appreciation of this book because our main character, Cassie, is thirteen and she just goes through a whole shitload of shit, and I’m just sitting here going “why are you so stupid” every single page for the first 100 pages (because I gave up on her after 100 pages and just read about her doing stupid shit). I’m surprised I finished it but I would have been perfectly okay DNF-ing it.

Here’s the thing though: people are out there saying how dark and gritty and realistic this book is, and how you don’t have to like Cassie’s decisions if she’s just another ‘realistic character’ who experiences the pitfalls of peer pressure and bad choices. But here I’m sitting thinking, okay, you can keep saying she’s such a realistic character, but personally, I think she’s a stupid character. STUPID. I said it. And I think I am allowed to say I do not enjoy reading about stupid characters who make stupid decisions, regardless of how impressionable she might be. Like seriously. It actually pisses me off just thinking about it because I can barely even comprehend some of her shitty life decisions and maybe it’s my normal, safe childhood speaking but I just GAHHHHH *rips out hair*

And where the hell were her parents? I absolutely loathe her parents. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FRIGGIN KIDS.

And if I’m ignoring Cassie’s stupidity, I can comment on her character development, which I found highly unrealistic too. I thought she changed way too fast from her good girl image to the whatever-the-eff she became, the F-bombs just dropped in too quickly and it was like her whole attitude changed way too fast to be believable.

I can’t really think of a single redeeming character, I found the supporting cast to be one-dimensional and predictable. However, I want to add that if the age of the characters had been older, I probably would have liked this book, seriously. It was that big of an issue for me, too bad.

Rating in HP Terms: Poor
Recommended for: uhm.. not reccing this one, I’m allowed to dislike books once in a while.
Acknowledgements: 3.5/5

6.5/10 – because I just really didn’t like the main character and found the book wholly unrealistic. Compared to many other dark, gritty books, this one doesn’t compare. Or I just hate Cassie a lot. Because the writing isn’t that bad, but plot and characters just didn’t work for me at all. It did get better towards the end though.


9 comments:

  1. And this is why I've stopped listening to the blurbs even if its an author I love because lets face it they are people too and their tastes and your tastes might differ with some books

    Thanks for the review it actually is nice to see a negative review from you since it seems like every book you read is sparkles, sunshine and rainbows good XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a bad thing to trust blurbs, but some are misleading.
      And I feel I've read enough books to figure out what types of books i'll like/dislike, so I stay away from the ones giving me a bad vibe-- probably why I enjoy more books I read (I mean, why would I read a book I already think I won't like?)

      Delete
  2. since we pretty much have similar tastes and since YOU have such great tastes in books, i believe this is a definite pass for me.

    and i loved the cussing.

    more please!

    hehehe.

    fabulous review, my dear.

    (scratches head in thought) *wink wink* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe you flatter me, lovey <3
      And LOLOL maybe the next time I review a book I didn't like.
      chat soon! xx

      Delete
  3. i will definitely stay away from this one! thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahahah what she's only thirteen?! I feel like this book is trying to be like the film Thirteen which I haven't watched but I know it's ~gritty~ too. I mean, I like gritty fiction as much as the next person but sometimes it's really hard to take it seriously when it seems very unrealistic. I enjoyed reading why you didn't like it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of the film, but yeah--I feel the same way about gritty fiction. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Sounds amazing!

    ... Yeah, I'm just kidding. I read your review. I can tell that the whole 13 years old and stupidity of the main character would drive me insane. I think I might have taken this off my GR list a while ago but if I haven't by now, I will now! Just no. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*