Saturday, July 7, 2012

BR: Take a Bow

by Elizabeth Eulberg

I think it’s no secret that I have been in a killer reading slump of some odd sort, whether it is the lack of motivation on my part or just a loss of interest in reading and blogging in general… anyway, today was such a gorgeous day and I was determined to sit still and read a book, goddammit!

Summary (goodreads)

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.
**

My Thoughts

It took me a lot of picking and choosing before settling on Take a Bow, I had a faint idea what the mood of the book will be, and I thought it fit what I was looking for perfectly—and it did. I am so, so glad.

Take a Bow is so adorable. It is lovely and seamless and made me smile like a maniac by the end of it. It is predictable yet a very enjoyable read and I’m debating how much I want to pick apart the book. I feel like the good part of Emme is also the bad part because the author made her incredibly sympathetic and as a result, she is kind of too perfect for my liking (apart from being a doormat for Sophie, which I admit, is quite a big flaw). I got a tad annoyed reading about how freaking selfless and nice and pretty she is.

That said, pretty much all the characters made me happy (or I'm just a serious mood reader), even the terribly flat Sophie, because I just felt like I was able to walk into their lives and sit in the corner and watch everything unfold—it was that kind of feeling when I was reading. I liked reading about the supporting cast but I did feel like many secondary characters lacked dimension. The story is told from four characters’ POV, which was a device I was initially wary about but turned out to work. I liked how Eulberg wrote the dialogue for Carter’s parts and I was very fond of Ethan’s pining for some reason, too. I felt while the different narrators had their own story arc, the story is still undeniably focused on Emme, which I liked.

Honestly, this is a very good “surface” read. Not necessarily shallow, but.. you know.. don't think too hard and you'll like it type of read. It was perfect for my mood because I just wanted a feel-good, predictable novel. I thought the plot was engaging and it included enough bumps and twists that never made me too emotionally traumatized but kept everything interesting. The writing started off quite clunky, but quickly picked up its flow and just took off from there. Eulberg is an author I hope to read more of.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: contemp fans!
Acknowledgements: 3.5/5

8/10 – because Take a Bow is kind of the perfect book if you’re in the mood to be happy. Not too deep but with a fun plot, sympathetic characters and some very adorable angst. Yes, that’s a thing, ADORABLE ANGST because I seem to be obsessed with calling this book adorable. Go read it!








source: publisher
author website / twitter / facebook

ps- excuse this poorly written, ramble-fest review. I'm sorely out of practice and too lazy to completely edit it.

5 comments:

  1. I loved Carter's POV so much but I really hated Ethan so that dragged down the book for me. I preferred her earlier works more-I think I like having just the one narrator.

    Good luck getting out of your slump-I hope you can recapture your passion for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey, I'm in a reading and bloging slump too! I'm hoping reading Code Name Verity will sort of snap me out of it *crosses fingers*. Take a Bow seems like a great happy feeling book (and I LOVE the cover!). Sometimes you just NEED that, eh?

    I'm hoping you get out of your slump too Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An inspiring story! The characters are realistic and I love it! Readers will surely enjoy reading it. Nice review Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a theatre geek I think I'll enjoy this one. Love the adorable angst thing! Hahaha.

    I know what you mean about a reading slump. I'm sort of in one too though it's less that I'm not interested in reading and more that I just don't have time what with studying and my nanny job. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this one before- but it sounds like a fun read. I love to have some books that are just easy and light to read every now and then. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*