Friday, August 3, 2012

BR: In Honor

by Jessi Kirby

This is a mini review! I take mini reviews very seriously.

Summary (goodreads)

Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?
**

My (short) Thoughts

Damn, I have wanted to read this book for ages. And I feel like Jessi Kirby just fast-tracked into my heart as it is filled with Supernatural references and love for dresses + boots (is there a more perfect combination?)  But seriously, if the 1967 Chevy Impala doesn't win you over... just wait till they start singing Carry On My Wayward Son.

I thought it was a very "YA" novel (despite me throwing it into New Adult) as it dealt with serious emotions yet also embraced more lighthearted, adventurous moments. I loved the road trip and Honor and Rusty and completely adored the ending. And I was able to fall in love with Finn (can I just mention how brother's named Finn are always the best*?). Overall I thought that it didn't really surprise me or blow me away, but I undeniably enjoyed it. Definitely recommended.

8.5/10








*seriously, THE BEST

source: bought
author twitter / website / blog

8 comments:

  1. sounds promising. have wanted to read this for AGES. 'very ya' worries me a bit though. i think i know what you mean there, and i'm trying to avoid those so a little conflicted now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhmm, I think it depends on what you feel like, but I would say not to raise expectations *too* much. I liked it but there wasn't really much that totally surprised me.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I love road trip books. And if there are Supernatural references... I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finding that I maybe don't really like road trip books as I've read about 50 pages and am already frustrated with some parts of the plot. We'll see if it improves for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking how 3 of the last 5 books I've read were road trip books... they're losing the novelty for me. I hope you like it in the end :)

      Delete
  4. I love road trips and this book sounds fun. :) Adding it to my list.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*